HOW TO prepare
SEAFOOD for cooking
There are a couple of steps you need to take to prepare seafood products for cooking.
- If you want to cook the prawns in their shells, remove the head by twisting and pulling it off. Next, cut a slit in the back with a sharp knife to expose the vein. Pull out the entire vein and rinse it under cold water while scrubbing lightly.
- If you want to remove the shell, pull the legs off and peel off the shell, leaving only the tail intact. Then devein the prawn as above.
- To reduce cooking time, you can butterfly the prawns by running your knife down the incision again to deepen it – but do not cut all the way through.
- Put the mussels in a deep bowl or bucket covered in heavily salted cold water. Leave it there for at least 20 minutes. The dead mussels will rise to the top – discard those. Also remove all broken mussels and any other mussels that are open.
- Remove the beard by cutting it off and scrubbing the remains of the beard clean with a brush.
- Keep mussels cold before cooking or serving.
- Scrub the clams if they are fresh.
- Check for broken shells
- As with mussels, simulate sea water by putting the mussels in a deep bowl or bucket covered in cold water that is heavily salted. Leave it there for 2 hours. In this time, the clams will purge any sand inside the clam, leaving it clean and fresh.
- Keep cold before cooking or serving.
calamari / squid
- Rinse squid in cold water if necessary
- To tenderise, you can leave the squid in a solution of 1 cup of milk with 2 teaspoons of salt for 30 minutes in a fridge. Buttermilk or lemon juice can also be used.